Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Conemaugh River: (Saltsburg towards Tunnelton)

(July 7, 2009): Today I paddled 6.78 miles

The Saltsburg area is a hotbed for paddlers with such waterways as the Conemaugh River, Kiskiminetas River, and Loyalhanna Creek all in close proximity. However, I'm taking the Conemaugh River off the list as I found my afternoon on the water extremely frustrating.

Granted most people enjoy this section of water by lazily floating downstream and taking in the view, but I enjoy the paddling part of kayaking so in my attempt to go upstream I found nothing but obstacle after obstacle, mainly shallow rapids that made digging into the water impossible. After nearly breaking my paddle a number of times over a few hidden boulders I cut my trip short and most likely won't return to this section of the river.


No comments:

Post a Comment